The "Resurrection" of Ernando VenanziSanta Barbara was born as a simple village to house the miners.
Originally there were few houses surrounding a square as desired by the architect Raffaello Brizzi (1883-1946) recalled by a plaque affixed to the public gardens of the country.
The church began in 1963. The church, dedicated to Santa Barbara, patroness of miners and blasters, rose on the area previously occupied by vinaia of "Agricultural Society".
Emblematic in this regard, the name of the square behind the church: Piazza Vinaia. To this place of worship, the architect of the Superintendent Moroni was inspired by the oldest Franciscan churches: he chose a classroom basilica unique, modern trusses support the roof and the traditional stone for the construction of the wall parameters, avoiding the more modern concrete. The facade consists simply of a porch on which stands the bell tower. Within the attention of the visitor is struck by a beautiful Crucifixion attributed to the school of Andrea del Sarto, the only ancient work presented here.
The careful observer will recognize the hand of Ernando Venanzi in most other works that adorn the church, the Stations of the Cross, Christ's baptism, the supper at Emmaus, and a great Resurrection above the entrance portal.
The Umbrian painter, author of the frescoes of Nocera Umbra, during his long career has participated in numerous international exhibitions, among which the one organized by the gallery "Bergusson" in Miami in 1980 where he exhibited with Venanzi Dali, Miro and Max Bill.
He was also the realization of a postage stamp titled "Malice", issued by the Principality of Monaco in 1997. On the left side of the church are placed two works of 1963, made by the French painter Chaplin. The first depicts St. Joseph the Worker in the background with the ancient village of Castelnuovo d'Avane, recognizable by the profile of the tower. The other, placed on an altar, is a clear reference to the residents of Santa Barbara in the background with the unmistakable cooling tower of the nearby power station, an external view of the new church and, bottom left, a man intention to work in the mines.
To the left of a life-size bronze statue of St. Francis raises his arms to heaven in a hymn to the sun. This is a work by the sculptor Bartoli, located at the inauguration of the church.
Outside the building there is a monument to the fallen of Mines, created in 1985 by the architects De Filla and Merlini by the will of the people of Santa Barbara. The monument shows the only example of survived of a trailer, as those used in the mine when the extraction took place in the underground galleries, in memory of those who lost their lives to extract fossil fuel.