Route 1: The Mine
First stop the Church of Santa Barbara: outside the building is a Memorial of Mines Fallen, created in 1985 by the architects De Filla and Merlini thanks to the will of the Santa Barbara people. The monument shows the only survived example of trailer, as those used in the mine when the extraction took place in the underground galleries, in memory of those who lost their lives to extract fossil fuel.
The power station in Santa Barbara is the second step to discover, between archeology and future perspectives, the history of lignite mining in the territory of the municipality of Cavriglia. Crossing the S.P. 14 delle Miniere there are the former areas of excavation, beyond the few remains of the late village of Bomba, recently returned to the Municipality of Cavriglia.
Once in Castelnuovo dei Sabbioni, you can see on the left side of the green bridge, a striking image of the old village of Castelnuovo, whose upper part has been completely restored and renovated and now houses the MINE Museum - Territory and Mine Museum and collecting evidence of lignite excavation from the dawn until the last years of mining.
For an overview of the vast area affected by mining should be up to the village of Massa Sabbioni: from here the view of the mine and the whole basin of the Arno Valley is truly superb.
 
 
MINE – Territory and Mine Museum
 
The museum complex documents and enhances the history of Cavriglia’ territory and in particular the events mining. The complex occupies several buildings in the Old Village of Castelnuovo dei Sabbioni: the former church of San Donato, used as a multipurpose space, a new building connected to it on the space occupied by the old rectory, the exhibition center (museum), and finally, a building of 20s of the twentieth century turned into a documentation center and space for educational activities.
The museum is spread across 7 rooms dedicated to the mining history and the events following a path that, by the nineteenth-century events - the birth of the Municipality of Cavriglia and commencement of mining - goes to prove the first century of mining tunnel and then open and some basic facts in the social history of the area, such as the massacres of 1944 and the long struggles of the postwar period (1946-54).
The course is taught entirely through interaction with the modern technologies that allow the visitor to be an active player in the knowledge of the presented issues in a rich atmosphere in sensory stimuli and opportunities for exploration.
Besides the museum's mission is strongly linked to the involvement of the visitor and next to the memory of the past, the museum develops a careful development of cultural heritage preserved, with the possibility of continuous exposure with special exhibitions enrichments.
Particular attention is given to the younger generations in particular schools. The program includes the museum, as well as guided tours, educational workshops affixed to study issues on display with.

Back to Top