Cavriglia principal townUpon establishment of the community, in 1809, the heart of the capital town, Cavriglia, consisted on a few buildings located next to the Pieve. Approximately three hundred meters, from the ancient monastery, there was another small urban area, called precisely Monastery.
Here, in 1811, the administrative offices of the City and the place of the Mayor were transferred from Montegonzi. Moving the capital from Cavriglia to Montegonzi was not because the latter village was more important, but because it was the most central location of the entire municipality.
A century and a half after the elevation of Cavriglia to the rank of capital, the country was divided into three small groups, having been added another group of houses to the two already existing, near the bridge crossing the stream Cervia, called Monastery bridge. Since World War II, Cavriglia has experienced a considerable amount of building activity, because of the immigration from the surrounding countryside due to the excavation of lignite that involved many families and to their settlement in the capital.
Cavriglia today is the town with the largest number of inhabitants of the City, being known for its excellent quality of life and services and a significant influx of people coming from other places. Provided with a renovated Town Theater that animates the winter cultural life, Cavriglia has shops, caffes, bars, restaurants, hotel accommodations diversified and various important sites of art such as the parish church of San Giovanni Battista, the Museo della Pieve and Saint Mary's Church, it has also a beautiful Museum and 12 very interesting walking trails.